Sheesh — answering the “how to prep for a boudoir photoshoot” question means a LOT to me. There’s the typical prep — gathering outfits, drinking lots of water and packing your day bag, but there’s also the mental prep. So let’s start there. Sometimes waking up and feeding the cats takes a lot out of us and boudoir photography is another ballgame (but just as relieving and nourishing as following your morning routine).
How to mentally prepare for a boudoir session
Whether you’ve got a date on the calendar for your boudoir sesh, or you’re still on the look-out for the right time, place and photographer (hey girl — I am a Chicago boudoir photographer!), the mental preparation is probably the most important part.
Decide why you want to take boudoir photos, and pick a selfish reason
I went there and I’m not sorry about it. We’re alllll guilty of not giving ourselves enough attention, love and well, respect. So when you book your boudoir photoshoot, even if it’s for a bridal gift, anniversary album or partner sort of gift, make sure you consider what you’re getting out of it.
- Pampering yourself (treat yourself vibes only at our boudoir shoots)
- Celebrating you
- Boosting your confidence
- Honoring your latest struggle, and the fact that you conquered it
- Having fun (mimosas anyone?!)
- Just because
We all love our boo thangs, but the most important boo thang should be you.
How to prepare for boudoir photography
1 month before your boudoir session
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat healthy meals
- Try on outfits
- Moisturize a LOT
- Go shopping for lingerie
1 week before your boudoir photoshoot
- Wax, shave, moisturize!
- Freshen up your hair. Blow-out perhaps?
- Keep those healthy meals going (maybe it’s time to use that free Hello Fresh code)
- Get your nails done
- Schedule a massage day with the girls for relaxation
- No fake tans, but the tanning bed is okay if you do your best to avoid tan lines (i.e. undressing all the way for your tanning session)
- Avoid alcohol and drink ALL the water
- Send your photographer a Pinterest board with the vibe you’re going for (sexy, elegant, romantic, bridal, boho, moody)
1 day before you take boudoir photos
- Double check your day bag (have what you need?)
- Remove the tags from your lingerie
- Relax and watch a movie, but skip the glass of wine
- Get plenty of sleep
- H20 baby!
Day of your boudoir session
- Shave everywhere!
- Eat light & healthy
- Drink lots of water!
- Wear comfy clothes
- Eat a light meal
- Wake up early so you can arrive relaxed
- Get your hair and makeup done (this might be included in your photographer’s package already!)
- Have fun!
What to bring to a boudoir shoot
- Comfy clothes like a t-shirt or sweater
- Water and snacks (I’ve got the mimosas covered)
- Small bouquet, rose petals or feathers
- 2-3 outfits
- An oversized jacket or shirt from your SO
- Lotion (to keep the moisturizing trend on fleek)
- Your bestie as your hype girl, and if that’s not an option, I’ll be your personal hype girl and boudoir photographer
YES! Now you know exactly how to prep for a boudoir photoshoot. Remember, this is your day to dress up, get pampered and feel like an absolute goddess. Find our private boudoir Insta here.